Menu plan 27 November

A few suggestions for nice things to eat this week


I did a quick poll on my Instagram account last week as to whether menu plans would be helpful and the resounding answer was Yes. So here is my first attempt - do let me know what you think in the comments! A big disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist so I make no claims about the nutritional balance of this plan. What I can say is I've tried to include a good variety of veg, with a little meat and some fish and veggie options too and I hope it will give you some good ideas of new things to try this week. I've also balanced out some weekend options that need a little more time to prepare, with some quick midweek ideas and meals that can be prepared in advance.

I should add that not all of these recipes are my own - so some links are to other sites - but each and every recipe is one I cook regularly at home, so you know they are reliable! I've added my own photos for each one so you can see what they really look like 😊

I haven't been prescriptive about what to eat when or even offered suggestions for every day. I'm guessing most of us have days when beans on toast will have to do or we give ourselves a night off from cooking, so I've tried to keep this very flexible.

So onto the recipes!

A hearty healthy shepherd's pie topped with root veg mash
First up, my shepherd's pie recipe that I posted on the blog last week. This comforting hearty dish is Sunday dinner fare for us and is incredibly tasty. Actually if you prepared it in advance it would also be great for a busy weeknight too! The veg content is quietly upped by topping the pie with a mixed root mash (I went for carrot swede and potato). Serve with some plain green veg on the side.
Chicken fajitas are a fun healthy family dinner
For Saturday night, how about chicken fajitas? This fun family dinner is a firm favourite in our house and pretty relaxed now my kids are old enough to build their own. It's a very sociable meal and everyone enjoys customising their fajitas - none of us eat them in quite the same way!
Teriyaki salmon in a simple marinade for a quick healthy dinner
BBC Good Food's salmon teriyaki is brilliant for midweek when time is short. Once you've quickly mixed up the marinade, the fish only takes 10 mins in the oven, leaving you just enough time to cook some rice and prepare some veg. Do make the marinade in the morning if that helps. Though the sesame pak choi the recipe suggests alongside is delicious, to simplify things, I usually serve the salmon with plain steamed green veg.

A hearty veggie stew with squash and chickpeas
For a veggie dinner option, North African squash and chickpea stew from River Cottage Veg Every Day is hard to beat. If you think veggie food isn't very satisfying, then think again - this stew is incredibly hearty and filling - perfect for a chilly November evening. It also reheats very well, so if you'd like to make it in advance, stop just before adding the pasta and then when you're ready to eat, pop the pasta in and simmer until it's cooked. 

Pasta with broccoli, anchovies, garlic and chilli
Another speedy midweek dinner option is my broccoli pasta - the broccoli is fried with anchovies, garlic and chilli for a really intense flavour. If you're worried about the anchovies, please don't - they kind of melt into the olive oil in the pan, leaving just a deep savoury taste rather than full-on anchovy flavour!
For lunch, mini frittata make a nice change from boring old sandwiches. They are quick to prepare and you could pop them in the oven while you're cooking the salmon or shepherd's pie - they keep well in the fridge for a couple of days.
My second lunch suggestion for this week is pea and ham soup. This bright fresh-tasting soup is quick and easy to prepare and as a bonus you can freeze any leftovers (minus the mint) for another day.





So there you have it, a week's worth of tasty healthy meal ideas - what do you think? Any recipes here you plan to try this week? Let me know in the comments!

Comments