Mackerel

Tinned mackerel makes a great lunchtime option

Mackerel is a lovely topping for toast, crispbread or a baked potato

This is more of a suggestion than an actual recipe to be honest. We all know oily fish is good for us but most of us don't eat much of it. I suspect some people aren't sure what to do with it and the cost of fresh fish can be an issue too. Step forward tinned mackerel, ideal for a quick easy tasty lunch.

Simply drain the mackerel and mix with a little Greek yoghurt, a big squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Cream cheese works instead of the yoghurt but the yoghurt is lighter (I don't think mayo works so well here.) Precise quantities are definitely a matter of personal preference so taste and adjust as you go but I used a scant dessertspoon of yoghurt, juice of half a lemon and a really big pinch of the cayenne.⠀
You could eat your mackerel with a big salad or piled onto a slice of toasted sourdough or a baked potato but if I'm feeling flush, I like it best on Peters Yard sourdough crispbread. My Swedish friend tipped me off about these - she was horrified to hear I was eating Ryvita! Although I think the Ryvita with sunflower seeds aren't bad and definitely much cheaper. One crispbread looked pretty for the photo but you'll obviously need more than that to fill you up 😊 

I like some crunch and contrast alongside so usually add a salad - something like little gem and radish - the radish works particularly well with the oiliness of the fish, I think.

Comments